Monday, July 18, 2016

Week 5 Symmetry and Supersymmetry



I believe that most humans seek order and balance physically, mentally, and emotionally, in our personal and social lives. Perhaps because balance and order allow us to feel safe and secure. It is generally assumed that symmetry creates a sense of constraint, security, and stability.

Symmetry in physics is generalized to mean invariance under transformation. This concept is fundamental to classical physics and argues that all laws of nature originate in symmetries. However, new understandings have arisen that explain discrete symmetries, superficial symmetries, super symmetry and anti matter.

Through my own observations I would say in my personal, social and aesthetic preferences excessive symmetry is too restrictive and perhaps lacks complexity. Also, I believe there is the possibility for an asymmetrical balance. Perhaps symmetry and asymmetry existing in a form of harmony that I am unable to perceive.  

*CP violation reflection incomplete

2 comments:

  1. Symmetry seems so artificial to me, not to mention, boring. Asymmetrical balance is everywhere. I like to use the phrase, "perfectly imperfect".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Symmetry seems so artificial to me, not to mention, boring. Asymmetrical balance is everywhere. I like to use the phrase, "perfectly imperfect".

    ReplyDelete